Wednesday, September 29, 2010

"You want to live as long as you enjoy life," Dr. Robert Butler

Sadly, on July 7, 2010, Dr. Robert Butler passed away and today, his family, friends and colleagues have gathered together to remember him and his achievements--and for those that knew him or knew of him understand the legacy he has left behind.

In my gerontological studies, Dr. Butler's name was a central component throughout and was always an inspiration to me. Whether it was a discussion on ageism, life review or becoming proficient on aspects of positive aging, it was him who inspired those conversations--it was him who coined many of the aforementioned ideas and it is him, who we, those in all aspects of the aging field, remain indebted to his work.

Dr. Butler was a true celebrity within the aging field--one might go as far to say he was the King of Gerontology--and to get the chance to hear him lecture or meet him was like the equivalent for anthropologist to hear Darwin. Unfortunately, I never had the chance.

However, in my quest to figure out how to move forward with my gerontology degrees, I took the liberty to connect with him at the Longevity Center for Aging in New York City. It took some time but his secretary Morriseen connected us (a couple months ago). Although not in person, I was quite happy to have spoken with him via telephone.

I remember our conversation as if it were yesterday--star struck over the phone as he began to speak--stumbling over my words as I attempted to respond--my hands were shaking as they usually do when I get nervous, pacing back and forth until I eventually found a bench to seek refuge from my delirium. Dr. Butler, to me, was a special man. Clearly. I think this is normal reaction when you are brought "face to face" with someone so inspiring and as influential as him.

Although our conversation was short and to the point, it really was a pivotal time in my gerontology career. Apart from suggesting I go to law school and practice elder law or potentially pursue a PhD in the aging field, it was more his words of encouragement that I think I needed most. He gave me assurance that what I was doing was worthwhile, necessary and exciting. He reminded me that there are so many aspects of growing older and because of that, there would be many roles for me ahead--and that no matter what road I choose, it will be fulfilling.

Today, I find myself writing and taking photos of older adults in an effort to spread the good word that growing older doesn't have to be a negative experience but rather, as Dr. Robert Butler so often said, a positive one. I try to give the world a positive taste of aging through my words and photography and I am quite certain that he would be proud.

May we soon live in a world where society can see the positive attributes of aging no matter how wrinkly we get...

This weeks inspiration is Dr. Robert Butler and in my personal effort to keep his memory and legacy alive, I dedicate this week as Robert Butler's annual remembrance.

Dr. Robert Butler, I thank you, and to his family, I send you my most heartfelt condolences.

No comments:

Post a Comment