Monday, June 21, 2010

This weeks inspiration: talking to strangers...Joyce Denyer

En route home from cheering on a dear friend at the Dragon Boat Races, who, on a side note, inspired me as well, I spotted an older woman on the sidewalk. Pacing. Four steps East. Four steps West. And back again. She was holding a white stick so I assumed this woman was blind. (I would soon find out she had macular degeneration [Learn more: http://www.ahaf.org/macular/]).

I pulled my bike over onto the side walk and walked over to see if I could help her-- although she was grateful for my concern and helping hand, it did not take long for me to realize just how independent she was. She explained she had an extremely busy day, full of shopping and errands and was waiting for her complimentary ride to take her back to her condo.

And, while I thought I was the one who would be the "helper" in this situation, potentially guide her and steer her in the right direction, she simply did not need it. But rather, in some way, she helped me--gave me unexpected direction.

She confirmed in me something I've always known and as a gerontologist, I must admit, I'm a little ashamed. While my intentions were good and that I simply wanted to help her, why should I assume that someone her age needed my help? Assuming that she must be weak? She's been navigating the world for decades, so, why all of a sudden at the corner of Queen and Yonge did I automatically think she needed a hand? And yes, I recognize I did so out of the kindness of my heart, but not all older people need a hand. Not all are vulnerable or frail (the way society has shaped us to believe) and especially not Joyce.

In 10 min, I knew where she worked, where she grew up and her phone number.

In our short time together, I learned that this woman has a huge heart and compassion for people and a real love for humanity.

So this week, the random older woman I saw pacing on the sidewalk is this weeks inspiration. I look forward to many more moments with Joyce Denyer and sharing them with you.

1 comment:

  1. You have lifelong friends and in ten minute you have another.

    I always look forward to your Monday insipirations!

    ReplyDelete