Thursday, March 1, 2012

#granspiration

Stephen Lewis Foundation (SLF) wants you to share how your grandparents inspire you. You should tell them (and continue to share your stories with me).

In all seriousness, SLF is giving rise to a global aging issue that speaks closely to my heart. In my work towards my gerontology degree, I invested time looking at the experience of older adults in Africa, specifically grandparents and how this role impacts them. Or shall I say, round 2 of child rearing because their adult children have passed on from HIV? Or shall I talk about the fact that grandparents are raising their grandchildren who too, might I add, are suffering from HIV? What resources do these older adults have? And my goodness, what kind of retirement is that? I'm sorry, but this takes the "aging" experience to a whole other level. When can these individuals kick up their heels and relax? I beg your pardon, I must be naive. This is the norm for older adults in Africa?!?
I will post my research on this soon.

Talk about inspiring grandparents...

No comments:

Post a Comment